Main Service Areas
Government Dental Care Programmes managed by the Dental Service
1. Healthy Teeth Collaboration (i.e. Project on Dental Services for Persons with Intellectual Disability)
To provide free oral check-ups, dental treatments and oral health education for adults with intellectual disability
To apply for the services under Healthy Teeth Collaboration, persons with intellectual disability (“applicant”) must fulfil the following criteria:
- Aged 18 or above holding the Registration Card for People with Disabilities issued by the Labour and Welfare Bureau (under the category of "intellectual disability" or "mental handicap");
- Receiving either Comprehensive Social Security Assistance or Disability Allowance of the Social Welfare Department or medical fee waiver of the Hospital Authority; and
- Have not benefited from the dental services of Healthy Teeth Collaboration
How to Apply
- Please call one of the following non-governmental organisation dental clinics for registration and booking of first appointment:
|Name of dental clinic||Phone number||Address|
|Christian Family Service Centre Tokwawan Dental Clinic||3590 9449||Shop 144, Block G, Lok Man Sun Chuen, Kowloon|
|Haven of Hope S K Yee Hang Hau Clinic||2706 0522||G/F, 8 Pui Shing Lane, Hang Hau, Tseung Kwan O, N.T.|
|Loving Smiles Special Care Dental Centre||2370 2669
|Shop E13-15, G/F, Cho Yiu Centre, Cho Yiu Chuen, Kwai Chung, N.T.|
|The Hong Kong Tuberculosis Association Rusy M. Shroff Oral Health Services Limited||3553 3535||5/F, Tang Shiu Kin Hospital Community Ambulatory Care Centre, 282 Queen’s Road East, Wan Chai, H.K.|
|TWGHs Ho Yuk Ching Community Dental Clinic||2581 0221||8/F, Tung Lee Commercial Building, 95 Jervois Street, Sheung Wan, H.K.|
- Upon booking of first appointment, the application form can be obtained from the selected dental clinic at which the appointment is made, or downloaded This link will open in a new windowhere(Chinese Version Only). Application form should preferably be filled in and signed before attending the first appointment at the selected dental clinic. Alternatively, the form can also be filled in and signed at the dental clinic during the first appointment.
- At the first appointment, the original copy of the following documents should be presented:
- Applicant’s Hong Kong Identity Card
- Registration Card for People with Disabilities issued by the Labour and Welfare Bureau (under the category of "intellectual disability" or "mental handicap")
- Documentary proof on eligibility criteria:
- Valid Certificate of Comprehensive Social Security Assistance Recipients (for Medical Waivers) issued by the Social Welfare Department; or
- Valid Notification of Successful Application of Disability Allowance issued by the Social Welfare Department; or
- Valid Certificate for Waiver of Medical Charges issued by the Hospital Authority
- Applicant should attend the first appointment with a legal guardian appointed by the Guardianship Board under the Mental Health Ordinance (Cap.136), and present the following original documents:
- Documentary proof of the legal guardianship; and
- Legal guardian’s identity proof
- If the applicant does not have a legal guardian, applicant’s parent, grandparent, brother, sister, spouse or rehabilitation service unit may submit application and attend the first appointment with the applicant. The accompanying person should present original of his/her identity proof and documentary proof of his/her relationship with the applicant.
(Note : the participating non-governmental organisation dental clinic will make copy of the relevant documents and such copies will be submitted to the Department of Health for processing of fees reimbursement.)
Scope of Services
Non-governmental organisation dental clinics will provide:
- Oral check-ups
- Preventive and curative dental treatments
- Education for caregivers on daily oral care
Scope of dental services include radiographs, preventive treatment, treatment of gum diseases, fillings, extractions (including wisdom teeth), and/or pulp treatment.
If dental treatments cannot be provided under behavioural management at clinic, arrangements will be made for applicant to receive dental treatments under sedation or general anaesthesia at a designated collaborating private hospital.
Collaborating Private Hospitals
- Evangel Hospital
- Gleneagles Hong Kong Hospital
- Precious Blood Hospital (Caritas)
Other information requiring attention
- Apply with one non-governmental organisation dental clinic only. Once an appointment is made, request for change of dental clinic will not be entertained.
- Provide accurate and true information to the non-governmental organisation dental clinic.
- Arrange the person with intellectual disability to attend appointment at the non-governmental organisation dental clinic or designated collaborating private hospital as scheduled.
- Inform the related dental clinic as soon as possible if it is found that the person with intellectual disability is unable to attend an appointment as scheduled.
This Programme starts from 16 July 2018 for a duration of 3 years.
2. Outreach Dental Care Programme for the Elderly (ODCP)
Users receiving long-term care services are generally frail and may be unable to take care of themselves and unable to receive conventional dental care services. Oral health of these users may get deteriorated as a result. Oral care is an integral part of overall personal and nursing care services for elders receiving long term care services.
The Government has launched the Outreach Dental Care Programme for the Elderly. Professional oral checkup and oral health care for elders residing in residential care homes, nursing homes or using service of day care centres and training is provided for their caregivers to promote prevention and early treatment, and enhance oral hygiene of the frail elders.
Person aged 60 or above who holds a valid Hong Kong Identity Card, and residing in Residential Care Homes or Care and Attention Homes for the Aged Blind licensed by the Social Welfare Department, Nursing Homes for the Elderly registered under the Department of Health, or using service of Day Care Centres/Units for the elderly subvented by the Social Welfare Department.
Scope of Services
Non-government organisations appointed by the Government will deploy outreach teams to provide the following free services:
- On-site oral checkup for the elders
- On-site oral care training and oral health education activities such as seminars/talks, etc for elders, their family members and caregivers
- If the elder is considered suitable for further curative dental treatment by dentist of the outreach team, treatment will be provided either on site or the elder will be transferred to a dental clinic for further dental treatment.
For enquiries, please contact the respective Residential Care Home or Day Care Centre/Unit or Department of Health at 2961 8989 or 2961 8991.