Personal Data (Privacy) Policy
In protection of the privacy in relation to personal data, the Department of Health has developed its Data Protection Policy modeled on the six data protection principles as set out in Schedule 1 of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (the Ordinance). The Department respects personal data and is fully committed to implementing and complying with the data protection principles and all relevant provisions of the Ordinance.
Kinds of Personal Data Held and Purposes of Collection
During its day to day operation, the Department collects and keeps personal data fall within the seven groups and for the purposes listed below :
(1) Personal Data for Service Provision and related activities collected from patients and clients with whom the Department interacts in the delivery of services and other related activities for the purposes of epidemiological surveillance, controlling food safety, and so on.
(2) Personal Data for Professional Registration or Enrollment collected from individuals who supply their personal information for the purposes of professional registration or enrollment.
(3) Personal Data for Human Reproductive Technology and Human Organ Transplant collected from donors or recipients in relation to human reproductive technology and human organ transplant.
(4) Personal Data relating to Enforcement of Legislations collected from individuals during various enforcement activities.
(5) Personal Data relating to the Appointments to Government Boards and Committees and Nominations for Honours and Awards collected from individuals for the purpose of considering their suitability for appointment to Government Boards and committees or nominations for honours and awards.
(6) Personal Data for Personnel Management collected from staff and candidates for appointment for the purposes of manpower development and planning, employees’ appointment, performance appraisal and discipline, and so on.
(7) Personal Data of Visitors and Outsiders who made Enquiries to the Department collected from individuals who provided personal data when visiting and making enquiries/complaints to the Department.
Assistant Director of Health (Administration and Policy) is the Personal Data Controlling Officer (PDPO) of the Department to monitor and supervise compliance with the Ordinance within the Department.
Personal Data Access and Correction Request
Data access and correction requests and enquiries may be addressed to the relevant offices or clinics of the Department of Health by which the personal data are collected. Requests should be made by submission of a duly completed Data Access Request Form. The Department will charge a reasonable fee for complying with any data access request.
More information about the operation of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance is available at the website of the Privacy Commissioner for Personal Data.