18 September 2012
The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) of the Department of Health today (September 18) reminded members of the public and management of institutions to maintain personal and environmental hygiene to prevent gastroenteritis.
The appeal was made following the CHP's investigation into an outbreak of acute gastroenteritis at a kindergarten in Tin Shui Wai involving 20 pupils aged between 2 and 5.
The affected pupils, comprising 12 males and 8 females, presented with symptoms of acute gastroenteritis, including vomiting, fever and diarrhoea, since September 7.
Fifteen of them sought medical consultation. None required hospitalisation. All the affected are in stable condition.
Investigation is continuing.
Officers of the CHP have visited the school and provided health advice to the staff concerning proper disinfection, disposal of vomitus, and personal and environmental hygiene.
To prevent gastroenteritis, members of the public are advised to:
* Ensure proper personal hygiene;
* Wash hands thoroughly before handling food and eating, and after using the toilet;
* Wear gloves when disposing of vomitus or faeces, and wash hands afterwards;
* Clean and disinfect contaminated areas or items thoroughly with diluted household bleach (by adding one part of household bleach containing 5.25 per cent sodium hypochlorite to 49 parts of water);
* Maintain good indoor ventilation; and
* Avoid food that is not thoroughly cooked.
Members of the public can obtain more information on the prevention of gastroenteritis from the CHP's website ( www.chp.gov.hk ) or call the Central Health Education Unit hotline, 2833 0111.