Main Service Areas
Information of Methadone Clinics
Objectives of Methadone Clinics
- to provide a readily accessible, legal, medically safe and effective alternative to continued illicit self-administration of opiate drugs;
- to reduce crime and antisocial behaviour due to illicit drug use;
- to enable drug abusers to lead a normal productive life;
- to reduce intravenous drug use and needle-sharing and thereby prevent the spread of diseases like AIDS, hepatitis B and tetanus; and
- to assist drug abusers to detoxify and achieve a drug-free state.
No referral is required. Any person who is addicted to heroin or opiates and has no life-threatening medical illness may apply for admission. The charge is HK$1 per visit ($23 for Non-eligible Person). Registration can be made at any methadone clinic by presenting (i) Hong Kong Identity Card (for Hong Kong residents); or (ii) Mainland Identity Card (for patients from Mainland); or (iii) passport / other valid travel documents (for patients other than the mentioned). The particulars of patients would be treated in the strictest confidentiality and would not be divulged without the patients' written consents.
i) Medical examination and methadone prescription
ii) Guidance and counselling by social workers
iii) Referral to other service agencies, e.g. Society for the Aid and Rehabilitation of Drug Abusers (SARDA) for other modalities of treatment like residential detoxification.
iv) Methadone clinics are provided with interpretation service, please ask the staff for details.
Arrangement for Typhoon and Rainstorm Periods
Typhoon No. 8
When typhoon signal No. 8 is hoisted, all methadone clinics will open for the normal operating hours.
Typhoon No. 9 or Above
If typhoon signal No. 9 or above is hoisted before the methadone clinics open, all clinics will be closed. And they will commence operation as soon as practicable if the typhoon signal is lowered to No. 8 two hours before the closing time. When typhoon signal No. 9 or above is hoisted during the operating hours of the methadone clinics, all clinics will remain open until the closing time.
Rainstorm Black Warning
If the rainstorm black warning is issued, all methadone clinics will open for the normal operating hours.
Enquiries 2835 1831