Influenza-like illness outbreak under CHP investigation
29 November 2013
The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) of the Department of Health is today (November 29) investigating an influenza-like illness outbreak at a kindergarten in Kowloon City affecting 20 pupils, and hence reminded members of the public and staff of institutions to maintain good personal and environmental hygiene against influenza.
The affected pupils, comprising 11 boys and nine girls aged between 3 and 4, developed symptoms of upper respiratory tract infection, including fever, cough and sore throat, since November 11.
Seventeen of them sought medical consultation and none required hospitalisation. All are in stable condition.
Officers of the CHP have visited the school and advised the management to adopt measures against respiratory tract infection.
To prevent respiratory tract infections, the CHP advised members of the public to adopt the following measures:
- Build up good body immunity by having a proper diet, regular exercise and adequate rest, reducing stress and avoiding smoking;
- Maintain good personal hygiene, wash hands after sneezing or coughing and cleaning the nose;
- Wear a mask when having symptoms of respiratory tract infections;
- Maintain good ventilation;
- Avoid visiting crowded places with poor ventilation; and
- Receive seasonal influenza vaccination. For details, please visit the CHP's Influenza Page (This link will open in a new windowwww.chp.gov.hk/en/view_content/14843.html).